When a person decides to start a business, they usually have a product or service that they offer to a community of people that solves a particular problem.
Regardless of what type, or size of the business, they all need this crucial element – MARKETING!
What is marketing?
Let’s take a look into what marketing really is. Marketing involves activities that communicate the value of your product/service to your potential customers in order to make sales. Promotional activities may include a mix of online marketing (eg. social media) and traditional marketing strategies (eg. print advertising).
Traditional Marketing includes:
- Print advertising eg. local paper, magazines, flyers, posters, postcards
- Word of mouth eg. communication to family, friends, work colleagues
- Participate in networking events eg. exchange of business cards, speed networking
- Presentations to groups of people
- TV commercials (very expensive!)
Online Marketing includes:
- Content Marketing eg. Blogging
- Social Media eg. Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram
- Create videos on Youtube
- Classified Ads online eg. Gumtree, Craigslist
- Participate in online forums
- Be a guest blogger for popular niche websites
- Online presentations/webinars
Why Is Marketing Important?
Marketing is very important for businesses to make profitable sales and keep thriving. Just look at what the big businesses are doing with their ads on TV. They are usually very creative! A good advertisement that captures people’s attention can make a big difference and drive sales, especially those annoying ads that customers are more likely to remember for a long, long time.
Using TV commercials as a form of advertising would cost HEAPS of Money! Usually the big businesses can afford it. But, if you have the money, then go ahead and use this form of advertising!
Creative TV commercials that are catchy are more likely to stick to the customers’ head.
Some of my old favorite ads that I still remember for a very long time include the Mortein TV commercial featuring louie the fly. It has such a catchy tune! If you haven’t seen it, watch it in the below video.
Another TV ad that I find very hard to forget is the one from Pizza Hut. Their phone number for pizza hut delivery sticks to my head. Even though this ad was aired in 1993, I still remember the number now! This is what I call effective advertising.
Another one is “The Good Guys” song. As annoying as it sounds, it is also a very effective advertisement.
The soft drink companies, Coca Cola and Pepsi, have very creative TV ads. So those are likely to attract many people too!
Businesses don’t need to use TV commercials to attract customers. Other marketing strategies can be very effective too. The popular trend now is to advertise online!
Digital Marketing VS Traditional Marketing
- Reach a global audience
- Much cheaper – less overheads
- Work can be automated eg. email autoresponders
- Online campaign runs 24/7
- Many tools and data available to work with eg. Google Analytics
- Difficult to build rapport with people online. Meeting people face to face is a better method in developing the trust of your potential customers. People who trust you are more likely to purchase from you.
- Customers can not touch or try product before buying. Many shops who sell beauty products or fragrances will have testers available to promote the product to drive sales. This can not be done with online marketing. Unless you state in your online campaign that you have small testers available that you can send to people to try product.
- Online marketing campaigns will give customer a different experience compared to traditional methods. For example, watching a video online about why a particular brand of car is so good will be different to going to a car show and participating in a test drive. Which one do you think is more effective???
Marketing is essential for EVERY business to become successful. Without marketing, a business would not survive for very long. If you do NOTHING, then NOTHING HAPPENS!
There are pros and cons to digital marketing over traditional marketing strategies. So, it’s always good practice to use a mixture of marketing strategies for your business. Some strategies will work better for your business over other ones. It just depends on what type of business you have.
If you have a niche business and is really keen on learning how to market your business online effectively, find out my #1 recommendation platform HERE!